Running from September 2017 to May 2018, the fourth season of the Dublin Quiz League saw the number of teams expand from 14 to 16 – and unusually, two of the new entrants ended up taking the crown in both divisions.
In Division 1, new team The Randomers burst onto the scene and left all challengers in the dust, winning 12 out of their 14 matches and accordingly winning the title by 9 points. Perhaps unsurprising since they included in their members top Irish quizzer Mark Henry and IQO stalwart Colm O’Sullivan! Luckily for the other teams, The Randomers went their separate ways after this season, making them the ultimate DQL one-season-wonder (for now at least).
As for Division 2, The Unusual Suspects came out on top in a hard-fought title chase against The Duodenojejunal Flexures to become Div 2 champions in their very first season.
This season saw another change to our regular venues – half of our matches were still held in The Long Stone, Townsend Street (though this time it hosted Division 1 teams) – but our new Division 2 venue was the newly-reopened Ruin Bar (formerly MacTurcaill’s), three doors away on the corner of Tara Street.
- Division 1 champions: The Randomers (€300 prize)
- Division 1 runners-up: Team Irish Life (€150)
- Division 1 third place: Team Jules (€60)
- Division 2 champions: The Unusual Suspects (€200)
- Division 2 runners-up: The Duodenojejunal Flexures (€100)
Final league tables
|2||Team Irish Life||14||10||0||4||672||582||+90||3||43|
|4||My Mates in the Corner||14||7||0||7||639||632||+7||5||33|
|5||Obi Won This Round||14||5||1||8||643||644||-1||8||30|
|6||The Rollin' Estonians||14||6||0||8||592||644||-52||4||28|
|7||E = MC Hammer||14||6||0||8||577||630||-53||1||25|
|1||The Unusual Suspects||14||12||0||2||611||469||+142||1||49|
|2||The Duodenojejunal Flexures||14||11||0||3||529||458||+71||1||45|
|3||The Magnificent Seven||14||10||0||4||568||471||+97||4||44|
|4||The Fast and the Spurious||14||5||1||8||475||538||-63||3||25|
|5||The Hitsquad Oracles||14||3||2||9||498||515||-17||6||22|
|7||The Lawless Murphys||14||4||0||10||484||540||-56||5||21|
|8||Compu Global Hyper Meganets||14||4||0||10||416||501||-85||5||21|
- Points are awarded as follows: 4 points awarded for a win, 2 for a draw, 0 for a loss.
- Bonus points are awarded as follows:
- Losing bonus: 1 league point awarded to any team who loses a close match (by 7 points or less)
- Individual bonus: 1 league point awarded to any team who has a “perfect” individual round during a match (4 out of 4 correct with no conferring)
- If two or more teams are level on points, then the team with the most points “For” are ranked ahead. If that’s also equal, then we use the Points Difference (points For minus points Against).
- Teams in the prize money and/or promotion slots are shown in green. Teams in the relegation zone are shown in red.