On Monday 20th December 2021, the IQO hosted the semi-finals and finals of the inaugural Irish Quiz League, where the top 4 teams from the previous 9 weeks of online league action faced off in a pair of Zoom quiz matches to decide the championship.
The four teams were:
- The Rollin’ Estonians – current reigning Dublin Quiz League champions
- Veni Vidi Wiki – primarily based in India, the only IQL team without any Irish members
- Plus Interprovinziale and The O’Gravitons – two high calibre teams formed specially to compete in this tournament
In the end it was Interprovinziale who clinched the title after a thrilling final against The Rollin’ Estonians which went down to the very last question! If you’d like to relive all the action, you can watch the recording on the IQO Facebook page.
Interprovinziale were the only undefeated team in the league all season and were deserving champions – boasting an astounding pedigree in their squad, which included no less than two BBC Mastermind winners (Dave McBryan and Aidan McQuade), Irish Celebrity Mastermind winner Rick O’Shea, plus top Irish quizzers Paddy Duffy, Carol Cronin, Brian Shaw and Patrick Conway.
So the full list of prizewinners were:
- Champions: Interprovinziale – €300 cash prize
- Runners-up: The Rollin’ Estonians – €150
- Semi-finalists: The O’Gravitons and Veni Vidi Wiki – €60 each, or free entry to next season
We’d like to thank the 18 teams and over 100 players who took part and made this league so enjoyable to run (and to be part of, judging by the feedback we’ve received so far).
We do plan to do this all again at some point in the first half of 2022 – if you’d like to be notified when registration opens for next season, either join our Facebook group or email firstname.lastname@example.org and ask to be added to our mailing list.
Thanks again and Happy Christmas to all!