The Irish Quiz Organisation are delighted to announce a two-day quizzing event taking place in the heart of Ireland.
Venue: Abbey Community College, Boyle, Co. Roscommon
Dates: Saturday 17th & Sunday 18th September 2022
The Championships consist of two of our annual events run on consecutive days for the first time, giving you an entire weekend of quizzing action all in one place.
On Saturday 17th we’ll be holding our Interprovincial Quiz Tournament, a team competition first held in 2019 and now making a welcome post-Covid return. This day-long tournament pits Ulster vs Connacht vs Munster vs Leinster in a 4-way quiz showdown!
Entrants can compete for the province of their birth, the province where they live, or any province that they have a connection to.
Then on Sunday 18th we’ll be hosting the 8th annual Irish Open, an individual quiz event that over the course of 240 questions seeks to find the best quizzer in Ireland!
Both events are open to all, whether newcomers or quiz veterans, and players are welcome to attend 1 day or both as they wish.
The entry fee will be as follows:
- One day only: €10 per person
- Both days: €15 per person
If you are planning to attend, please RSVP using the following form: https://forms.gle/MzyctV7we7xcHvBu8
- 11.45 – 12.15: Registration
- 12.15 – 12.30: Welcome & briefing
- 12.30 – 1.30: First match: Connacht v Leinster and Ulster v Munster
- 1.30 – 2.30: Second match: Connacht v Ulster and Leinster v Munster
- 2.30 – 3.30: Break
- 3.30 – 4.30: Third match: Connacht v Munster and Ulster v Leinster
- 4.30 – 5.30: Final / tiebreak (if necessary) and prizegiving
- 5.30 onwards: dinner, socialising etc.
- 12.00 – 12.15: Registration and welcome
- 12:15 – 1.15: Irish Open first half
- 1.15 – 1.30: First half answers & marking
- 1.30 – 2.30: Break
- 2.30 – 3.30: Irish Open second half
- 3.30 – 4.00: Second half answers, prizegiving & farewell
Travel & accommodation:
For those travelling from Dublin, note that Boyle is on the Dublin-Sligo train line (multiple departures daily from Connolly station) and also the Dublin-Sligo Bus Éireann service (Expressway route 23).
In case we have anyone travelling from abroad, Boyle is less than 40 minutes by car from Knock airport.
We have deliberately picked a 12 noon start on both days to facilitate those travelling by train from Dublin – the morning train gets into Boyle at roughly 11.30am and the school is a 5 minute walk from the train station.
As for accommodation: Boyle no longer has a hotel, but some B&B options are available: check on Booking.com or Airbnb.com. Also, Carrick-on-Shannon is only a 15 minute drive away (or one stop on the train) so those coming by car or train may wish to avail of a greater selection of accommodation there.
We would be delighted if any quizzers from around the world would like to run a local satellite venue for the Irish Open on Sunday 18th – please let us know at https://forms.gle/YMujaqb9ZukjfEnx8
The questions will be international in scope and NOT Irish-specific.
Note, only scores at our Irish venue in Boyle will count towards the official results, but we will post all international scores here on our website.