The Irish Quiz League is back for 2023! Registration is now open until December 31st for the upcoming season of the IQO’s Zoom-based quiz tournament.
Do you and your quizzing buddies fancy a weekly quiz challenge, against teams from Ireland, the UK, Europe and the world? Join the Irish Quiz League! In fact, you don’t even need a quiz team to take part as the IQL allows solo quizzers to register and then be placed on a team.
First run in 2021 and about to start its third season, the IQL is a sister tournament to our long-running Dublin Quiz League but instead of being held in pubs, the IQL is held on Zoom so is accessible to players wherever in Ireland or the world they might be.
Here’s the full lowdown on the league:
- Matches will take place over Zoom on Monday nights during January, February, March, April and May.
- As there will undoubtedly be a significant overlap between teams in the IQL and the Dublin Quiz League, the IQL will not take place on those Mondays (once per month) that already have DQL fixtures. Please note: the questions in the two leagues are 100% separate, so teams can take part in one or both tournaments as they wish.
- Matches will be between two teams of four. However, team squads can be made up of more than four players.
- The cost of entry will be €60 per squad, regardless of how many members. There will be cash prizes for top two teams in each division.
- The league structure will feature vertical divisions. The winners of Division 1 will be the IQL champions whilst promotion and relegation will be in effect between the bottom of Div 1 and the top of Div 2, bottom of Div 2 and top of Div 3 etc. The exact number of divisions will depend on the number of teams taking part.
- Non-Ireland players and teams are completely welcome. While the quizzes will obviously include Irish content, it will be to a max of 25% of questions.
- One game each week will be recorded for broadcast on Facebook in the days afterwards.
- New for Season 3: The IQL Cup. This will be a knockout cup competition for all teams and will take place following the finish of the league season. What division you are in won’t matter, any pair of teams can be drawn against one another. There will be no handicaps in use.
Registration is open from now until the end of the year. That’s right, midnight on December 31st. To register for the league, please fill in this online form: https://forms.gle/R6a5JUVsw5w1ej8g6